- 6 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 rounded tsp salt
- generous pinch saffron, dissolved in a little water
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
Method of preparation:
- Sift the flour into a large bowl; add the salt and the saffron
with its water. Gradually add enough water to make a smooth,
pliable dough, kneading vigorously until the color of the saffron
is well disbursed and no longer leaves streaks of yellow in the
- Break off pieces of the dough and roll them into small "sausages" about 4 inch in diameter. Cut these again into short lengths and press them lightly against a fine sieve to make a criss-cross pattern. Spread them out on a large tray sprinkled with flour, and leave them in a dry warm place for 2 days.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the gnocchi a few at a time. Almost as soon as they rise to the top of the pan they are ready. Remove with slotted spoon, let them drain them thoroughly and transfer them to a deep heated serving dish.
-Dress generously with tomato sauce and grated Pecorino cheese, and serve immediately.
It is important that the tomato sauce be well flavored and home-made.
Source: Italian Regional Food
Photo: Gourmet Traveller