The Church of St. Mary today may be the most important monument of Freyburg. It was built in the 12th and 13th century by Louis IV of Thuringia, who lived on the Neuenburg Castle town resided and ruled the town. From afar, you can see the two western towers which are similar to the east towers of the Naumburg Cathedral. Space is limited by the low Romanesque transept.
The Castle Neuenberg
The Castle Neuenburg, situated above the town Freyburg, is the biggest castle of the Thuringian landgrave and was founded by Ludwig the jumper around 1090. First it was a centre of medieval courtly culture and then was used as the elector`s living and hunting castle. In the thirteenth century, at the time when the Holy Elisabeth lived there, a Romanesque double chapel was built.
Today there is a wine museum in the castle-yard which introduces the history of the winegrowing along the rivers Saale and Unstrut to the visitors. The children who visit the castle can learn about the history in the so called `Kinderkemenate` (children`s chamber) where they can dress in historical costumes. As prince, knight or noblewoman they are shown the history of the old castle.
There was an imperial palace in Memleben during the time of King Otto. Between 975 and 979 King OttoII. founded a Benedictine monastery which was closed during the times of the reformation and was agriculturally used for centuries. The ruins with a nearly completely preserved crypt surrounded by a beautiful garden are amongst the most impressive remainders of medieval buildings
Collegiate Church of St. Peter
Construction of the three-nave, cruciform basilica church, the monastery church of the Augustinian and canons' convent founded by duke Dedo von Wettin dates back to the period after 1124. It was built on a 120m-high hill. Porphyry, the rock of which the hill is composed, was used as building material. The monastery had many patrons and served as a place of interment. It continued to exist until 1538. Some 20 years later, the church burnt down and subsequently fell into disrepair. It was reconstructed between 1853 and 1857. The outer appearance of the building is characterized by its highly compact mode of construction.